The School of Law is offering a total of ten full LLM scholarships (fee waiver) covering the LLM programmes listed below. Of the ten full scholarships, the School of Law will award four overseas fee scholarships and six Home/EU fee scholarships for those with an offer on one of the following LLM programmes:
- LLM Banking and Finance Law
- LLM Commercial and Corporate Law
- LLM Comparative and International Dispute Resolution
- LLM Competition Law
- LLM Computer and Communications Law
- LLM Economic Regulation
- LLM Energy and Natural Resources Law
- LLM Environmental Law
- LLM European Law
- LLM Human Rights Law
- LLM Immigration Law
- LLM Insurance Law
- LLM Intellectual Property Law
- LLM International Business Law
- LLM International Shipping Law
- LLM Master of Laws (General)
- LLM Legal Theory
- LLM Media Law
- LLM Medical Law
- LLM Public International Law
- LLM Tax Law
You must have an offer of study for the LLM before you apply for a scholarship. You should therefore apply for the LLM as early as possible. Students who have not submitted their complete LLM application (all documents are required to be submitted with the LLM application; up to date transcripts, English language certification if available, reference letter etc.) by this date will not be considered for funding. It is acceptable to apply if you have not yet taken your English language test or do not have your final academic grades.
The LLM Scholarships are open to applicants who have an offer of study on the Full Time LLM only and are not open to those with an offer on the part-time LLM Programme.
These LLM scholarships do not include the LLM in Law and Economics programme or the LLM in Paris programme. Please visit the law funding page for other LLM funding options.
The decision to award a successful applicant the School of Law scholarship will be based on a combination of
- the LLM programme you have applied for
- the area of law and the modules you would like to take, as shown in your personal statement and
- your reasoning for being awarded a scholarship based on our criteria – see below.
You will be required to select LLM modules only as part of your LLM degree. If you are specialising in a particular area of law your module selection availability will be limited. Please see the LLM specialisation list for further information on modules available within your specialist area.
If you have applied for funding elsewhere and are successful in receiving such funding you must inform us immediately. In the event that you are awarded funding elsewhere we will withdraw your application. If you are awarded one of our LLM scholarships and are then awarded funding elsewhere the offer of being awarded our School of Law LLM scholarship will be withdrawn.
The scholarship will be awarded to those who we deem to have successfully demonstrated their reasoning for being awarded a scholarship based on the following criteria;
- Academic merit
- Professional achievements (if any)
- Financial need
The personal statement should include all of the above information and should be in response to the text as detailed on the application form.
How are the scholarships awarded and paid?
The LLM scholarships cover the full cost of tuition only in the form of a fee waiver; the scholarships do not cover additional course costs (books etc.) or accommodation fees. Scholarships are not payable directly to successful applicants but are off set against the student’s fee invoice. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit, financial need and the submitted personal statement in response to the set question as detailed in the application.
What are scholarship winners required to do?
All successful candidates for the full LLM scholarship may be asked to assist the Law Marketing Team with marketing events such as the postgraduate law open evenings and student profiles / videos.
How to apply for the LLM Scholarships
You must have an offer of study in place before you can apply for LLM funding, for more information see closing dates and important notes. Applicants are required to submit the following:
- A completed LLM Scholarship application form [MS Word version] or [PDF version]
- 1000 word (maximum) statement in response to the text as detailed on the application form.
- Transcripts of your law degree and any other legal qualifications. Please submit relevant, translated copies only.
- Curriculum Vitae
- 1 x Reference letter (This can be a copy of the reference submitted as part of your LLM application or, if not available to you, you must obtain a reference specifically for this scholarship application). Please do not submit more than one reference letter.
Once completed, all documents should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.